Mango season is here!
Luckily, we haven’t had to scavenge around the neighborhood for neglected fruit bearing trees: our neighbor has a massive tree and a portion of the behemoth stretches directly over our back yard. Despite only a few branches hanging overhead we have been inundated with fruit! And since we wouldn’t dare look a gift horse in the mouth, here is how we have used the fruit – along with how we are storing it for when this season becomes a fading memory.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 6 cups mangoes (4 to 5), peeled and cut
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- Combine sugar and vinegar in a 6 quart pot; and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add remaining ingredients
- Simmer, uncovered, until syrupy and slightly thickened, for apx 45 minutes to 1 hour. (stir occasionally during cooking)